1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
It is a well-known fact that there has been a public concern on the impact of bad debt on commercial bank lending on Nigeria economy. The various management in position has been accessed of giving loans to applicants without a good or reasonable security as collateral. This has immensely given room to economic problems/crises 14i that some customers even when given a reasonable collateral tends not to meet up with the demand of the agreement
This is as a result of borrower inconsistencies in responds to the demand made by the various banking institutions (commercial banks) for repayment of loans and advances made to them. This also in turn reduces the asset base of the bank as a result causing inflation in the economy, by devaluation of our naira in foreign exchange market, hence discouraging international/foreign investors from investing in the country.
However, the major issues are:
1. How exactly does a commercial bank cope with the effect of bad debt?
2. What really are the impact of bad debts on commercial banks in Nigeria economy.
3. What length does this bad debt go in causing inflation which leads to devaluation.
4. What roles do management play in ensuring that agreements stipulator are strictly followed.
5. The role of foreign exchange market in investment in our country.
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The objectives of the study are aimed at the following:
To evaluate the impact of bad debts on commercial banks leading on Nigeria economy, to identify the problems aimed from bad debts. To identify its immediate remote causes, to determine its effect: on he economy in general. To make positive recommendations on how to possibly profound solutions and conclusions to it, to establish the level and impact of risk to an acceptable rate, and then suggest on how to improve the existing control method programme.
1.4 SCOPE, DELIMITATION OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study is intended to be more encompassing but was hampered by certain unavailable constraints; nevertheless, it is limited to commercial banks as well as their staff. Some of the constraints are our poor financial position which compelled us to restrict this volume due to the high cost of stationeries. The reluctance of some commercial banks to give out information concerning some factors were discussed in the literature review and the theoretical rationale.
The scope tries to find out the impact of bad debts on commercial bank leading on Nigeria economy; and as such, its findings cannot be generalized to other types of banks.
1.5 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
This study seeks to answer the following questions:
1. Are there impacts created by bad debts on commercial banks leading on Nigeria economy?
2. Does bad debts really come into place in commercial bank leading systems?
3. Are banks really aware of the positive and negative effect/impact of bad debts?
4. What are the problems posed by bad debts on the commercial banking sector and on the economy in general as regards bank leading?
5. What is the nature of relationship between bad debt provision and profit, hence the effect on individual and on investment growth in the economy?
6. Are there policies governing issues on bad debts on commercial leading on Nigeria economy?
7. These policies governing issues on bad debts do they vary fr6m one commercial bank to the other or they do not vary?
8. How often does this issues of ad debt affect the commercial banking sector of the country’s economy?
OTHER SIMILAR BANKING FINANCE PROJECTS AND MATERIALS
A CRITICAL ANALYSIS ON THE USE OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS IN ASSESSING THE PERFORMANCE OF AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF FIRST BANK NIGERIA)
ABSTRACT This project work is carried out to examine the contribution of micro finance banks to the development of Small and medium scale enterprises in Nigeria. The Brass micro finance bank is used a...Continue reading »
A STUDY ON THE ACCEPTANCE AND ADOPTION OF THE CBN CASHLES POLICY IN PORT HARCOURT, NIGERIA
CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY One of the prerequisites for the development of national economy according to Ajayi et al, 2006 is by encouraging a payment system that is secu...Continue reading »
A STUDY ON THE IMPACT OF BUDGETARY CONTROLS ON THE PERFORMANCE OF AN ORGANIZATION (A CASE STUDY OF FIDELITY BANK PLC)
CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY AND PROFILE OF THE ORGANIZATION Following the uncertainties prevailing in the Nigerian business environment today, managers and stakeholders mu...Continue reading »
ANALYZING PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL TECHNIQUES IN UNION BANK NIG PLC
CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY In any evaluation of the condition necessary for the growth and survival of an organization, the role of performance appraisal is a strategic f...Continue reading »
AUDIT INDEPENDENCE: ENHANCING ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY IN CORPORATE ORGANIZATIONS
CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION 1.1. Background of the study The subject of transparency and accountability in modern day corporate organizations has continued to receive attention as never before. It has b...Continue reading »
CREDIT MANAGEMENT AND ISSUES OF BAD DEBTS IN COMMERCIAL BANKS IN NIGERIA
The article on this topic (credit management and issues of bad debts in commercial banks in Nigeria) is an extract from literature review of the project material. The complete project work would be ma...Continue reading »
What are looking for today?
THE IMPACT OF HUMAN RESOURCE PLANNING ON ORGANIZATIONAL PERFORMANCE
41,486 people found this useful
THE EFFECT OF TREASURY SINGLE ACCOUNT ON THE ECONOMY OF NIGERIA
38,593 people found this useful
THE EFFECT OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON STUDENTS PERFORMANCE IN LEARNING LISTENING COMPREHENSION
36,222 people found this useful
TAX ADMINISTRATION IN NIGERIA: CHALLENGES AND PROSPECTS, A CASE STUDY OF LAGOS STATE BOARD OF INTERN...
32,827 people found this useful
CAUSES AND EFFECTS OF COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN IN AN ORGANIZATION (A case study of champions’ brewe...
28,028 people found this useful
FACTORS AFFECTING LANGUAGE CHOICE IN A MULTILINGUAL SOCIETY
26,629 people found this useful