This project basically focuses on the Effect of Commercial News on The Ethics of Journalism and choosing Osun State Broadcasting Corporation (OSBC) Osogbo , as a case study with much emphasis on the negative effect of the news commercialization on the practice and ethics of journalism. Today the ethics of journalism which has to do with accuracy, balance, honesty and fairness of the news story is contrasting with the news commercialization which has made the news to be paid for are extensively discussed.
1.1 BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
Journalism practice wields such enormous powers and call for the highest standards of ethics and commitment to truth. Ethics and truth in journalism have assumed global concern as scholars that their basics constituents of objectivity, accuracy, fairness and balance have merely assumed mythical qualities as journalist battle to assign credibility to their news stories.
According to Tuchman in 1978:2, describes objectivity as facility (a mechanism which allow the journalist to hide even from themselves the constructed and partial nature of their stories). This views seems to have garnered force as increasingly scholars suggest that news when professionally selected is guided more by oganisation needs than by professionalism. The journalist thus become s a walking paradox (Nordenstreng 1995),as one can not fail to see that journalism is so full of contradiction.
That we have to question even the most fundamental dogma of the profession truth seeking because the way it as been conceived and practiced in journalism serve as a deceptive filtering device preventing as much as helping the truth been discovered. (Nordenstreng in 1995:117) news commercialization practice in Nigeria media industries adds to this contradiction and deception, creating a continuous dilemma for ethics and objectivity in journalism practice in Nigeria.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
1. In order to know if commercialization of news violate the ethics and conduct of journalist.
2. To know how commercialization of news has affected information flow tremendously.
3. Just to know how the commercialization of news makes it susceptible to abuse by interest groups who can pay their way ito the media. So as to project an idea they want people to accept whether it is positive or not.
4. Lets know if commercialization of news should be performed in every media.
5. To know that news commercialization can leads to news distortion.
6. In order to examine the possible future of commercial news.
1.3 OBJECTIVE OF THE STUDY
1. To know the extent of how the commercial news is affecting ethics of journalism.
2. In order to know the side effect of commercial news in the ethics of journalism.
3. It makes us to know the possible future of commercial news.
4. To know the benefit of abiding the ethics.
5. In order to know the ethical implication of news commercialization.
1.4 STATEMENT OF RESEARCH QUESTION
1. Does commercial have any importance in the field of journalism?
2. To what extent does commercial news influence or affect objectivity?
3. Of what importance is commercial news to the media station?
4. To what extent don journalist adhere to the media ethics?
5. To what extent does commercial news affects ethics of journalism?
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
The significant of this work is to contribute to the existing knowledge and further investigate or revealed other areas that researchers have not covered i.e.widen the study on the “Effects of commercialization of news in ethics of journalism”.
Especially in Osun State Broadcasting Corporation (OSBC), Osogbo when commercialization of news have enough effects to the ethics of journalism.
It is also concerns with how commercial news can be amended to cover or to extended to some cases in the area of commercialization of news performing especially in Osun State Broadcasting Corporation (OSBC)
1.6 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this research focuses on negative effects or implication of commercial news in the ethics of journalism practices.
It is also based on how they commercialized news against the rules of the profession and how to eradicate the misdemeanor among the journalist.
1.7 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
Wide search of this nature can not be carried out without some constraints. They include:
1. Duration for the research work is relatively short.
2. Stress arises from other academic assignment is also a constraint.
3. Little materials are available because the work is relatively new
4. Financial constraint posed another challenges.
However, because of the aforementioned constraints, the scope of this research shall be narrowed down to Nigerian in which discussion and analysis will revolve.
Can't find what you are looking for?
Call (+234) 07030248044.
OTHER SIMILAR MASS COMMUNICATION PROJECTS AND MATERIALS